Saturday, February 18, 2012

House - North Eastern Thai Cuisine

House - North Eastern "Issan" Thai Cuisine

Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love Thai food and the connection that I have to Thailand and its cuisine. In saying that, Sydney has A LOT of Thai restaurants and when I say A LOT, I really mean it. Walk down any main street in Sydney and you will come across at least one to five (if not more) Thai eateries all varying in their tastes and origins of provincial cuisine.

So when I was recently asked to try a "new" Thai eatery, I eagerly agreed. House Thai is not new, it has been around for a while, it has just taken me a couple of years to get there! The cuisine here is from the North Eastern part of Thailand known as "Issan" which has a strong blend of Thai and Laos influences, but ultimately remaining quintessentially Thai (think of the amazing street food in Bangkok, many of these vendors are from Issan). The spice level is usually high (raw chilli, both red and green are commonly used) and also the use of fermented anchovies which is unique to this part of Thailand.

I think the pictures always do more justice than anything I could write in favour of something I love, but I strongly suggest that everyone visit this eatery, especially as its not the usual Thai fodder you find around town. Be warned, the food is spicy and make sure you have water on hand if you can't handle the chilli :)

The below pictures are what we ate and are by no means the "House specialities".

Moo Ping - BBQ Pork Skewers

Tum Mua Pla Krob - Green Papaya Salad with anchovies

Khao Nar Ped - Roast duck with Cucumber, ginger & steamed rice

Sticky Rice - the perfect accompaniment for Moo Ping and Som Tum


For more information on House Thai:

http://www.housethai.com.au/


No comments:

Post a Comment